Justice, If You Take It

Module 1 was spent analyzing the Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes, and his "State of Nature". In class this week, we discussed justice and whether or not we believed there was justice in the state of nature. Starting off, I would like to discuss what I believe to be the meaning of justice, and I will then look at wether or not it is in the state of nature and why or why not.

First, to me justice means getting, or being given retribution or vengeance. Yes I know how harsh that sounds, but that is what I currently believe it to be. That may or may not change in the future. Justice can be anything, as long as it is some sort of punishment inflicted on the person who did wrong. After having my meaning for justice set, I do not believe that there is justice in a state of nature, as long as it is sought after. In this state there is a mistrust of others and criminal behavior. Basically, it is every man for themself. Therefore, if someone does an injustice to you could go and seek out any justice that you see fit as there are no limits to what you can do and no laws in the state of nature. Finally, I would like to make the point that my version of justice has nothing to do with a type of legal system, authorities, or any governing institution. If it did, then the short answer to the question of justice in the state of nature would be, no.

With the new addition of this class to my count, I have had to read Thomas Hobbes's "State of Nature" a total of 4 times, most times including the whole Leviathan. It never gets any easier to read, but I now feel like I have a greater understanding and vision of Hobbes' idea of the state of nature. I just hope, ignorantly, that is the last time I will have to study this exhausting text.


https://auisgroup1summer18.blogspot.com/2018/05/justice-if-you-take-it.html



2 comments:

  1. I find the conversation of what justice and the realms in which it exists to be so fascinating because there is no short answer! I think it's very appropriate to bring up our own internal ideas regarding the application and understanding of justice given where our class discussions are headed. When I think of justice I think of it as an equalizing force. However, discussion on Hobbesian views (reinforced by your post) has really pushed me to think more about the application of that equalizing force. I think these actions often manifest themselves in the form of vengeance and retribution as you say but it also leads me to ask myself if I think justice is synonymous with punishment and vice versa.The answer to that question cannot be found, or even addressed, in nature because punishment implies established rules and norms to test against that go beyond natural inclinations of mere survival.

    -Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the more intriguing conversations of our week 2 class. Your conception of justice definitely falls into the category of what I'd call rough, but is by no means unreasonable or unjustified, especially when looking at the international system. The implications of justice in the state of nature, of man being able to seek retribution without limits and to carry it out as he sees fit are very important when looking at how the international system constrains states' responses to injustices. It begs the question: if the international system is like the state of nature, when states are wronged and, if they have the capacity, why do they not just completely annihilate their adversaries?

    ReplyDelete

Now What?

We've come a long way in this course. I am glad that Hobbes was the foundation on which we built our learning as it provided a good refe...